CUPA-HR New Jersey Chapter Spring 2020 Session:
“Strategic Partnerships & Where I Stand”
Friday, March 6, 2020
Seton Hall University
Bethany Hall – Rooms A & B
400 South Orange Ave., South Orange, NJ 07079
In order to effectively serve the faculty, staff and students of a University, Human Resources must develop partnerships across campus. In this exciting session, we will take a multi-faceted approach to understanding where you as an HR professional stand in the development of these strategic partnerships. We will discuss strategies on how to successfully cultivate these relationships to meet the needs of the University as a whole. Attendees will also participate in an interactive presentation addressing some of the major challenges facing Higher Education today. Finally, we will take a look at strategies for effective listening that we can employ to help build and maintain the strongest strategic partnerships.
Event Registration NOW OPEN! Click here to register!
8:30 a.m. – Registration, Continental Breakfast and Networking
9:10 a.m. – Welcome and Opening Address
- Kay Sylla, President, NJ CUPA-HR and Senior Human Resources Manager, Princeton University
9:15 a.m. – Presentation: “This is Where I Stand”
- Come prepared to join your CUPA colleagues for an interactive exercise to explore where HR professionals stand in the face of the most pressing challenges in higher education. This group activity will be thought-provoking, informative, and fun!
Speakers: Stephanie Macias-Arlington, Manager, Training & Organizational Development and Brenda Polanco, Senior Employment Specialist – Seton Hall University
10:30 a.m. – Break and Vendor Engagement
10:45 a.m. – Presentation: “HR Strategic Partnerships in Higher Education”
- To make the greatest impact, HR professionals should look to partner with every area within a University. Drawing from 30 years as a leader of human resources within higher education institutions, Seton Hall University’s chief HR officer will share success stories and lead a brainstorming session on how to meet the needs of the campus community.
Speaker: Michael Silvestro, Associate Vice President, Department of Human Resources, Seton Hall University
11:30 a.m. – Presentation: “Productive Partnerships: Can we talk? Can we listen?”
- Practicing inclusion and diversity in a university setting presents particular challenges as well as opportunities. Obviously, good communication techniques are essential. Can we talk? Usually we faculty are pretty good at this. More importantly, can we listen? This talk will provide examples and strategies for effective and active listening in formal and informal campus settings with inclusion and diversity at the heart of the matter.
Speaker: Judith Stark, Ph.D
12:00 p.m. – Break and Vendor Engagement
12:10 p.m. – Business Meeting
- Meeting Call to Order
- Review of chapter website:
- Secretary notes of last meeting
- Treasurer’s report
- Upcoming Executive Board vacancies & call for nominations
- CUPA Connect
- Upcoming CUPA-HR Events and Webinars
12:30 p.m. – Meeting Adjourns — Lunch / Networking / Vendor Engagement